On fridays at Ideas and Coffee we’ve been having educational events since Sept 2012. Sometimes they are presentations on topics of interest to freelancers, small business owners and entrepreneurs. Sometimes they are working sessions.
The first and third Fridays of the month we have Andrew Stone leading an iOS Workshop that ranges from app idea critique to digging into Objective C and ferreting out code models, or looking for bugs. It’s been really informative!
On the other Fridays we’ve have speakers on topics ranging from Social Media 101 to The Common Pitfalls of Web Design. We also do working sessions for people working with WordPress. You can follow what we’re up to via Meetup. The group name is Friday at Ideas and Coffee.
In several cases we’ve had additional material that’s been made available by the speakers. We’ll be archiving this here.
- Slides for Kenneth Ingham’s excellent talk on Security in WordPress.
- Here’s a link to pointers about Jailbreaking your iPhone.
- Here’s a pointer to the slides for Laurie Dudasik’s great presentation on Website Usability.
- Bill Bergmann’s excellent set of notes on trends of in modern website design.
- Bill Bergmann’s introduction to Python and Flask mentions this tutorial. Here’s more info on Flask.
- Why Python? A light-hearted reason, an interesting conversation at Stack Exchange, why start with Flask? And an interesting video on various levels of webapp building. These pointers are thanks to Bill Bergmann.
- Using PHPMyAdmin with WordPress from Ken Hargis’s great introduction to working with WordPress’s underlying database.
- If you missed Digging into Objective C with Andrew Stone, here’s the PDF version of his slides, or watch the Keynote slides.
- Here’s the handout from “Just Enough PHP – for WordPress Users“
- Slides from Keya Lea Horiuchi’s Introduction to Open Source Data Visualization talk.
- Links from Keya’s Introduction to Open Source Data Visualization talk.
- From “The pitfalls of webdesign; whether DIY or with a web designer.” — Ken Hargis A PDF of this presentation: Webdesign Presentation
- How a wiki can save you time & money and empower your customers – Jamii Corley
Here is A PDF Wiki Cheat Sheet
- From “A Tour of CSS” — Chris Burbridge
Chris’s blog post All Horses are Red: WordPress CSS for Everyone includes a video of the presentation and links to many of the excellent tools he mentioned in his talk.
- Intro to WordPress: A Show and Tell – Jamii Corley
PDF: WordPress Definitions